Everyone wants a slice of delicious cake, a crunchy cracker or a melt-in-the-mouth biscuit, right!? That’s why we decided this year to share some delicious Christmas sweets recipes, but so that EVERYONE can enjoy them we selected gluten-free Christmas sweets! The gluten sensitive connoisseurs or those who simply avoid gluten all together can now also enjoy the festive season and grab a treat or two..
Read on for our list of mouth-watering gluten-free Christmas recipes.
GLUTEN FREE FRUIT MINCE TARTS
50g each sultanas, inca berries, currants, mixed peel
50g each dried figs and glace cherries, chopped
1cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
25g each almonds and pecans, chopped (optional)
200g rapadura or coconut sugar
½ tsp mixed spice
3 tbls orange juice
2 tbls cold grated coconut oil
Zest of 1 lemon
1 small unpeeled cooking apple, grated
130g frozen grated coconut oil
240g Monica’s Gluten Free Flour Mix
¼ tsp salt
110ml ice cold water
1. Mix together.
2. Best if you allow mixture to sit for up to 7 days.
1. Place coconut oil in freezer until hard.
2. Then grate and return to freezer until you are ready to begin the pastry.
3. Place the frozen grated coconut in a bowl with the flour, sugar and salt.
4. Using a fork, give the mixture a quick stir. Avoid overheating the mixture as you want the shreds of frozen coconut oil to remain very cold.
5. Add the egg and water, and using your fork, mix well. Lastly using your hands, bring the dough together to form a ball.
6. Roll out the dough and cut 6 x 10cm pieces with a round cookie cutter.
7. Place the circles into bases of a muffin tin and blind bake for 10mins at 180oC.
8. Roll out the scraps of dough and cut small stars or hearts to top the tarts.
9. Fill with fruit mince, top with star or hearts and brush tarts with egg wash. Bake for 15 minutes.
TIP! Bottle what fruit mince is left and use throughout the festive season…mix through vanilla ice-cream and make a lovely frozen pudding!
MONICA’S MIXES CHRISTMAS FRUIT CAKE
200g mixed dried fruit of choice
75 ml fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoons goji berries
1 x packet Monica’s Mixes Banana Bread Mix
½ cup (125ml) mild flavoured oil
½ cup (125ml) water
250g apple puree
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
50g glace cherries
50g raw almonds
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
1. Preheat oven to 150oC and line a deep, 15cm round cake tin with baking paper.
2. Place the dried fruit, juice, orange zest and goji berries into a small pot and bring to the boil.
3. Boil for 30 seconds, remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, whisk the apple puree, oil and water until smooth.
5. Add the Banana Bread Mix and whisk until smooth.
6. Fold through the plumped fruit and juice mix.
7. Combine well and spoon the batter into prepared cake tin.
8. Arrange the glace cherries and almonds on top of the cake.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
10. To glaze add 1 tablespoon of water to marmalade in a small pot and warm over low heat until liquefied.
11. Use a pastry brush to glaze the top of the cake.
12. Store in cool spot in an airtight container.
Enjoy EVERYONE and Merry Christmas!